Educación especial (CPSE)

Getting Services for Your Child Through CPSE

What is the CPSE?
In New York State, every school district has a Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE), a program that provides services to children from 3-5 years of age who have or are at risk of having a developmental disability.

If your child received early intervention services as an infant or toddler up to age three and may still need special education, your Service Coordinator will assist you with transition planning and making a referral to the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) at your local school district.

If your preschool-age child (3-5 years old) did not receive early intervention services but has some delays or lags in development such as difficulty in talking, moving around, thinking or learning, or is facing physical or behavioral challenges, a parent or guardian may make a referral to the chairperson of your school district?s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) who will assist you in completing the referral process.

How to Make a Referral
If you are concerned about your child?s development and you are interested in a preschool special education evaluation, you can write a letter to your local CPSE. This letter is called an ?initial referral? and it must be made in writing. In the referral, you should:

? Say that you are requesting a preschool special education evaluation;

? Provide your child?s full, legal name and date of birth;

? Describe any specific areas of concern about your child?s development;

? List any services that your child has received in the past or is currently receiving;

? Provide your full contact information, including your name, an address, and a telephone number where the CPSE can reach you; and

? State your preferred language, if it isn?t English.
? You may provide the referral to your CPSE in person, by fax, or by mail. To find out which CPSE covers your child?s home address and to get your CPSE office?s contact information, you can:

What is Preschool Special Education?

The New York State Education Department (SED), Office of Special Education oversees a statewide preschool special education program with school districts, municipalities, approved providers, and parents. Evaluations and specially planned individual or group instructional services or programs are provided to eligible children who have a disability that affects their learning. Funding for these special education programs and services is provided by municipalities and the State.

Why is an evaluation necessary?
Preschool evaluations are conducted to determine whether or not a child has a disability and is eligible for preschool special educational and/or related therapeutic services. If a child is found eligible for preschool services, the family acts as a member of the school district?s CPSE to determine appropriate services.

How does the evaluation process work?
When your child is referred to the CPSE (your local school district), you will be given a list of agencies approved by the State Education Department to provide preschool special education evaluations. You will be asked to select one of the approved evaluators, then sign a consent form for your child to be evaluated at no cost to you or your family. A copy of the evaluation report, including a summary of the evaluation, will be provided to you and to other CPSE members. You will be asked to meet with them to discuss the evaluation results.

How will my child receive special education programs and services?

If your child has a disability that may be affecting his or her learning, the CPSE will find your child to be an eligible ?preschool student with a disability.? The CPSE will also recommend the program or services to meet your child?s individual needs and where they will be provided.

What is an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?

If your child is an eligible preschool student with a disability, you and the other CPSE members will write an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for your child that will list the recommended services to be provided, how often, and for how long. The CPSE must consider how to provide the services in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE), where your child can learn close to your home with other children of the same age who do not have disabilities.

What programs or services will my child receive?

If approved by the school district, arrangements will be made for your eligible child to receive one or more special education programs and/or services recommended by the CPSE

Preschool Related Services can include:

If approved by the school district, arrangements will be made for your eligible child to receive one or more special education programs and/or services recommended by the CPSE

? Speech/Language Therapy (helps children with expressive (spoken) and/or receptive (understanding) language delays)

? Feeding Therapy (helps children who have motor difficulty with chewing or swallowing)

? PROMPT (helps a child develop motor control and proper oral muscular movements)

? Physical Therapy (works on gross motor skills such as running, jumping, skipping and hopping)

? Occupational Therapy (works on fine motor skills such as writing and cutting, eye-hand coordination, self-help skills, sensory and motor development)

? Parent Training (teaches parents and caregivers strategies for helping their child achieve success in daily activities)

? Social Work Services (provides information, emotional support and assistance for family members in accessing community resources)

? Counseling (works with a child or members of the family on issues surrounding or impacted by the child?s developmental delay)

Special Education Programs can include:

? Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) ? a special education teacher works with a child in the setting recommended by the CPSE.

? Special Class in an Integrated Setting (SC/IS) ?a class with preschool students with and without disabilities.

? Special Class (SC) ? a class with only children with disabilities.

Additional Information?

? Sample request for referral and referral letters:
A parent may refer her/his child to the CPSE or Children’s Services may request a referral. The CPSE will either discuss with the parent whether s/he wishes to refer the child, or the CPSE will make the referral itself. In either case, informed consent will be required.

? CPSE Process